Re: [TowerTalk] Dressing coax on TIC Ring Rotors

To: Mike Gilmer - N2MG <n2mg@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dressing coax on TIC Ring Rotors
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:25:55 -0400
Following a suggestion from W6QHS/W6NL I tried something that worked quite well for me when I had a TIC ring....

I went to the local truck stop and got one of those long springs they use to suspend the airlines that go to the trailer brakes...I would route the coax away above the ring rotor - it could potentially fall into those teeth so:

I put a caribeaner on the top end and clicked onto a a tower diagonal - with the antenna in its center North position I made it taught enough to keep the coax well away from the foreboding coax eating gears... fortunately the PL259 just passed through the eye at the other end of the spring so it was black taped to the appropriate spot along the coax. When the antenna swung either side of center the spring would stretch and keep the coax above the gears...

Ultimately decided to fix that antenna on Europe and sidemounted it to the tower before some friends helped to remove the ring rotor beast...

That spring was there for years and years and retained its spring, etc... if I remember right it was pretty inexpensive, too - seem to remember the caribeaner was more expensive than the spring was!

Once again W6QHS was right - his sense of things mechanical is great - anyone who has not read his book on yagi antenna design is doing themselves an injustice.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

193 6 29

Mike Gilmer - N2MG wrote:

Any suggestions on the best way to route the coax from the tower to an antenna mounted on a TIC ring?

Since, in my case, the TIC is mounted just above guy wires, I cannot drape the coax below the antenna to the tower. The antenna has a boom truss support mast so I think that running the coax up the antenna's truss support and draping it over to the tower is the right way to go. (The anchor point on the tower will be at the same height as the top of the truss support). Comments anyone?

Thanks,
Mike N2MG