[TowerTalk] 160meter vetical / Tower, Insulate or Shunt feed?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160meter vetical / Tower, Insulate or Shunt feed?
From: douglas.snowden@med.va.gov
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:50:31 -0400
I will be getting a 90ft aluminum tower in a couple of weeks  - it will be a
Universal Tower with a 26" base section.
I am trying to decide on how I should use it.  Having never had a tower that
was high enough to
put decent wires up for the low bands, or even get on 160m, I am looking for
ideas. My thoughts
are:

1.  Put it up in enough concrete to keep the base steady and guy it, and
hang wires from it that i
pull up from pullies.

2. Same as above, but put 30ft of aluminum in the top and use it as a 160m
vertical.  Shunt feed
it.  What are your thoughts about also hanging wires from it for other
bands?  Too much RF
back to the shack?

3.  Put it up with the aluminum tubing on top and insulate the base and
direct feed it?  What kind
of base insulators could I use?  Wouldn't I need a crane to set it on the
insulators?

The reason I like the idea of hanging wires it because I would like to play
with sloping VEE Beams.
I have several hundred feet to run the wires for a vee beam.

Doug, N4IJ
Carson, VA