Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Hardware

To: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@pivot.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G Hardware
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:45:25 -0700
At 11:11 AM 10/20/2003 -0400, Roger D Johnson wrote:
 After posting my previous message, I decided to do some research
to determine the strength of the SS hardware I used on my tower.

 It turned out to be more complicated than I thought. I soon got
bogged down with SAE vs ASTM standards, old bolt head markings vs
new head markings, psi vs ksi vs kips, etc. I'll try to briefly
summarize my findings.

1. There is not much data on the shear strength of bolts. One site
gave the following figures. For carbon steel, the shear strength is
approx 60% of the tensile strength. For SS bolts it's 55%.

Shear stresses, at some point, turn into tensile and compressive loads on the bolt material, for which there is material strength data. For the strength of a real bolt loaded in shear, a lot depends on how it's mounted (how tight a fit in the hole, etc.). Consider that a hacksaw doesn't put much load on the bolt, but still cuts through it (an extreme example of uneven loading). Likewise a "bolt cutter", which deliberately loads the bolt in shear. The holes being a bit uneven, or not perfectly parallel, etc. can turn that idealized shear loading into a bolt cutter. And, of course, you never put a shear load on the threaded part, right?

2. Some of my bolts are marked with two lines at 90 degrees. These
are an example of the "old marking" and are 18.8 stainless (also
known as 304SS). These bolts seem to vary widely in strength.

Not much about strength because 18-8 (and 304) just specifies the alloy constituents, and nothing about the grain structure/tempering/processing that went on. Kind of like the difference between 6061 and 6061-T6 aluminum... same chemical composition, very different material properties.

3. I also have bolts marked F593C. These are cold worked and conform
to ASTM standard F593. These bolts have a tensile strength of 100 to
150 ksi (ksi = 1000 psi) giving them a shear strength of 55 to 82.5
ksi. This compares favorably with grade 5 carbon steel bolts which
are rated at 120 ksi tensile strength.

For more info on the F593 bolts see:

http://www.marfas.com/technical.shtml

Based on the two anecdotes I've read here, it doesn't seem to make any
difference what bolts are used when the guy system fails! My conclusion
is that F593 SS hardware is fine for guyed towers. Self supporting towers are a different story.