Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators and replacing guys

To: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@medinaec.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Johnny-ball insulators and replacing guys
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:58:07 -0400
At 08:47 AM 10/23/03 -0500, W0UN -- John Brosnahan wrote:
So the question is  IS THE FUNKY END DOWN OR UP?
I have never seen anything in print about this and I always
marked it up as an old wive's tale (but I always put my
funky ends down just in case!).

John, I bet this is EXACTLY the story. I just checked my stock and I have two different types. One, glazed a reddish grown, has a "waterline" on one end of each one about 3/8" from the end, and on the short side the color is slighter and the finish less shiny, as if unglazed. The other type is a dark grey color, and does not have the "waterline" look, but on one end the small flat surface - less than 1X1 in area -- is rough and does not seem to be glazed.

While I have no idea which ones were used on this guyset and won't know till I get it down, I'd bet on the first type. In any case, from now on it's funky end down!

Another related question -- this tower is 100 feet of Rohn 25, guyed at 31, 62 and 95 feet. The problem guys are the bottom set. Would I be well advised to set a teporary guy before I remove and replace each one individually, or can I safely slack off on all three -- given a calm day -- and drop them all at once?

73, Pete N4ZR The World HF Contest Station Database was updated October 3. 2440 stations are listed -- 104 stations were added or updated. Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm