[TowerTalk] Re: First Tower questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: First Tower questions
From: "Arthur Prewitt" <artprewitt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:30:29 -0700
Hi All,

I need some expert advice. I am about to put up an LM470, I have had it for
a while but it was just too hot here in AZ to work. You could not touch the
tower without getting 3d degree burns. It has cooled off and I have all the
necessary permits, so now is the time.

I plan for the following antennas:

AR270B 2 meter Vertical at the Top of mast (lightning rod?)

2 meter 7 element beam (horizontal)

6 Meter 3 element beam

Triband beam 20/15/10 or maybe a small multi-band quad.

I plan on using a Ham IV rotor mounted in the tower.

My question is what I should use for a mast, Length, ID. What would be the
best separation between the beams, which also determines the length of the
mast? In which order should the beams be stacked? How much of the mast
should be inside the tower or where should the rotor be in relation to the
top of the tower.  Do I need to use a thrust bearing? How do you align the
mast and the rotor and thrust bearing?

If I what to hang a low band inverted v (160/80) from the tower how do I do
that? Will that stress the cables?

To some of you experts these will sound like silly questions but this is my
first tower and I don't have a clue. Be gentle.

73, Art

N4PT Tucson, AZ