Re: [TowerTalk] Leveling a Trylon Base?

To: Rich Hallman - N7TR <rich@n7tr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Leveling a Trylon Base?
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:58:10 -0500
Aha - a real world solution to the ever woeful tilted hypotenuse! I cannot see a flaw in the theory, but:

Make sure the level is positioned along the bisector of that leg's angle versus the adjacent sides...

And, make sure the 1.5" occurs at the very end of the level (not a coupla inches in)

I have seen carpenters do a neat trick - everyone should try this... check your level by noting where the bubble is and then turning the level end for end - you should get the same bubble reading - if not, you have a crooked level!

i.e. is you placed your level on a shelf or table and it read that the bubble was exactly straddling one of the reference lines, and then you turned the level end for end and the bubble was not straddling the other reference line it is not reading accurately!

I would do this first before attempting to enhance your level with the block...

Lemme see, hypotenuse, bisector, angle - I have pretty much so not used those words at the same time in over thirty years... too bad I cannot remember what I had for dinner yesterday!

An idea like this could make you Rich... ooops, you already are...

Jim, K4OJ

Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:

Since there is a 3 Inch taper to the section (8 ft)...I was going to add
a 1.5 inch block to the end of a 4 ft level to compensate for the
taper....

Has this been done in the past?

Thanks...
Rich