Re: [TowerTalk] 80 or 160 loop??

To: Jerry Connelly <jerryc@clinchrivercorp.com>,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 or 160 loop??
From: dan bookwalter <n8dcj@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:06:39 -0800 (PST)
Jerry

way back in the early 80's i was down in 8P6 land and
we put up 2 loops (160 & 40 M)on a tower that was
about 50 ft high... they were diamond shaped for the
most part... the tops were around the 50 ft mark the
bottoms about 12 ft sloped towards NA... they angle
from the top of the tower towards the ground was in
the area of 30 degrees i suppose... they worked
great... granted being in the 8P6 helps ;-)

those antenna's stayed in place for about 10 years....
then around 2000 a very large horiz loop was installed
around 30-50ft high with 2 sides being about 200ft
wide and the other 2 in the 400-500 foot range... this
antenna really worked well and was very quite...

not sure if this is any help or not but that was my
experience... i will warn you not to entirely trim
your XYL's favorite tree.... in 8P land we effectively
removed 8P6JQ's XYL's favorite tree... i don't think
she every completely forgave me for that...

good luck

Dan N8DCJ