Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain quality since MFJ took control?

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain quality since MFJ took control?
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:23:12 EST
In a message dated 11/4/03 6:42:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
w2up@mindspring.com writes:
>>I wouldn't buy a Steppir.  Moving parts outdoors, out of reach, make
me nervous.  Just think how much more could go wrong.
Barry W2UP<<

I don't own SteppIR, but I know stepping motors and mesuring tape.
Stepping motors are very reliable, no brushes, sealed construction, pisitive
control.
Tape used in the lements is wound on cylinder without sharp bends and sealed.
Would corrosion eventually impact conductivity and performance? Not sure,
don't know the material.
If I had to chose between log periodic or multibander I would go for SteppIR.
It might be also capable to compensate for detuning by ice buildup by
adjusting the elements.
So far we have not seen any comments about their failures, but I suspect that
it would not be any worse than rub of the mill beams.

Yuri, K3BU