RE: [TowerTalk] Covert Mast and Yagi

To: <froggy@awaforums.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Covert Mast and Yagi
From: "Wes Attaway (N5WA)" <wes@attawayinterests.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:04:17 -0600
I suggest that you put up a couple of dipoles as high as you can.
Feed them with open-wire line and do some operating on several
bands.  Use appropriate stealth techniques.  While you are doing
this continue to research the "collapsible beam" idea.  You will
also be able to use this operating time to see if anyone
complains about RFI or wires, or whatever.  If no complaints are
noted then I think a couple of things will develop:

1. You will find that the dipoles aren't really bad antennas and
you really can make a lot of QSOs with them;
2. Depending on how much "cover" your trees give you, you can try
a 2-wire bi-directional beam;

The "collapsible beam" idea may linger on, but it will fade
unless you come up with a really remarkable idea.  If this
happens then you will have something that will be truly
marketable and will represent a business opportunity.  Call me
and I will be an investor.

One other thought ..... I am moving soon to an area that forbids
"transmitting or receiving towers".  Antennas are not mentioned.
Do your covenants specifically prohibit antennas?  Such a
prohibition would be pretty drastic, given that antennas can be
as short as a few inches.