[TowerTalk] fuses

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] fuses
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@prexar.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:34:42 -0500

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 18:38:19 -0500
From: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>
To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection
Message: 4

An old radio tech trick: put 1/8 amp fuses in line with your telephone =
line
(one in line with each wire). The fuses will virtually always blow =
before
any equipment on the line can be damaged.

About 8 years ago, our phone line was aerial on the power poles coming =
back
to our property. One of the poles took a direct hit- it literally blew =
the
phone cable off of the pole and burned it in half. The only thing I lost =
was
the 1/8 amp fuses...

Doug
K4DDR

I used this trick with my Beverage antennas and it didn't work. In one near "miss", all of the fuses blew up and the pulse vaporized the arms on all four of the relays.

CRAIG CLARK , K1QX PO BOX 209 RINDGE NH 03461 603 899 6957