Re: [TowerTalk] Teach me how to load an 160 Inverted-L

To: k0wa@swbell.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Teach me how to load an 160 Inverted-L
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:05:46 EST
Lee

Suggest you try a different approach.  Load the thing at the top center.  The
top center fed L needs no radials and is one heck of an antenna.  Check out
Cebik's articles - he has two that explain it all.  Because it is fed 58 feet
in the air, all your radiating is taking place up high (lower angle of
radiation) and you have no ground losses hence no radials needed.

If you need to make it longer, double back but don't connect the wire again
at the top like you would with a folded dipole.  58 feet down and 58 feet back
up for the vertical section and do the same for the horizontal.  Now you have
an almost regulation size 160 meter antenna.  That is linear loading and it
has very low losses.

I have such a beast fed with ladder line and it works great on 160-10 meters.

Radio k4ia
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA
FISTS 6702 CC 788 Diamond 64