[TowerTalk] Paradoxical Failure of SS Hose Clamps & Heliax, LMR,tools

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w1wef@intergate.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Paradoxical Failure of SS Hose Clamps & Heliax, LMR,tools
From: DavisRFinc@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:35:53 EST
In a message dated 11/22/2003 12:01:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> Has anyone else experienced SS hose clamps loosening? Is it a matter of =
> the no name brand?    Tnx    JACK W1WEF

Hi Jack,  Having looked at many brands of hose clamps, there are  a bunch of
companies out there selling them.   I'm sure that one of the larger ones, like
Murray, sell a branded name to some of the others that are selling them.  Not
having the name on the clamp usually serves two purposes.  First, it costs a
bit less and second,  no name can better protect the seller's liability.   I
haven't had the problem of loosening screws,  or heard of it; however, with
antennas, I tend to look at every possibility of a problem and have some sort
of
"safety"for each.

  First, and likely all good TT'rs know, when you buy or use hose clamps, you
need to be sure that when it says "Stainless Steel"  that the clamp ALSO has
SS screws in the clamps.  It's beyond me why a company even makes an SS clamp
without an SS screw, AND marks the clamp " SS ."  The next thing I do, which
will solve your situation, is to use "Thread Tight" or similar to keep the
threads of the screw from moving at all.

With any antenna, one hopes it will  be up there for many years.  So, the
incovenience of popping off the T Tight occurs hardly ever.  Put it on so that
you can get an awl into a thread groove next to it in order to pop it off when
you need to untighten it.

So there is no misunderstanding, we don't sell clamps or metal antenna parts;
we do have all the "staples" of wire aerials and we are a wire and cable
distributor to hams and largely to commercial and military (see below).

Good luck with it,  Steve Davis, K1PEK   DAVIS RF Co.  1-800-328-4773
By the way, we sell the complete Heliax Tool Box Kit which includes every
installation tool for the various size and types of Heliax, such as EASIAX Cut
Prep, flare tool, pin depth gauge.  28 items ! The Andrew List Price is $
950.00, our price: $ 598.00 !! +sh.      LMR Kit: List $ 770, our price:  $ 545
!!
+sh

~ Davis RF Co., Div. of Davis Associates  Wire  and  Cable, LLC:
Distribution to numerous industries,  Price Leader in
Andrew Heliax;
Times Microwave LMR; RFS Celwave and others.

Custom Comm'cl Cable Design.
RF Peripherals.  Commercial Microwave Antennas

Control cable, wire, insulators, baluns, RF connectors, etc.

Baluns, center feeds, grnd. radial wire, UV and rodent resistant
...outer cable jackets, RF connectors (Amphenol and RF ...Industries)

Cable Assembly, certified Andrew and Times connector
  ...installation

 Poly Stealth 13:  # 13, 19 strand, copper clad steel w/black ...Polyethylene
outer jacket.  A STRONG, flexible, long life aerial ...wire

 Designer of "Bury-Flex" Tm Low Loss, Long Life PE jacket
...totally submersible in water and certain chemicals, uses std. PL259's and
N's (for …9913,LMR-400, etc).

www.davisRF.com

Tel:  1-800-328-4773 (1-800-DAVIS RF)
…Tech'l: 1-978-369- 1738,  Fax:  1-978-369-3484

~ DAVIS/ORION Marine Wire and Cable Co., Distribution and Design: UL/USCG
Marine Stds.

~ Orion Wire Corp., Design Engineers of Specialty/Custom Cable

Tel:  1-800-328-4773, 1-603-787-2200  Fax: 1-603-787-2221,
email:  j_stimson@davis-orionwiregroup.com
www.davisRF.com