RE: [TowerTalk] Horizontal + Vertical Polarization Question

To: <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Horizontal + Vertical Polarization Question
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:31:31 -0800

> Did the signal to noise ratio change, or just overall signal strength?
>
> --
> Bill, W6WRT

Good question.

The signal to noise ratio on the inverted vee
was sometimes the same as the vertical and other
times was better.  The vertical was never the
better receive antenna.  In the past, a 40 meter
inverted vee used on 80 & 160 as a receiving antenna was nearly
always better than the vertical.  I don't know
if the 80 meter vee is a worse receiving antenna
or it was just conditions last night.  It wouldn't
surprise me if it was a worse receiving antenna
because it tends to have more vertical polarization
component since the ends are near the ground.

Rick N6RK