[TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hose Clamps on antenna elements

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Hose Clamps on antenna elements
From: "Mike Gilmer - N2MG" <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:56:17 -0800 (PST)
W1WEF wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced SS hose clamps loosening?

Perhaps they were overtightened originally so that the
screw (eventually) slipped/stripped-out of the band's
slots?

I absolutely despise hose clamps (not that there are
readily available alternatives) for squeezing aluminum
element tubing.  Just when you think you've cranked
hard enough to keep the joint from rotating,
they "strip".

Cushcraft provided hose clamps for this purpose, but
at least provided four slots in the outer tubing.
This gave the clamps a fighting chance to compress the
tubing enough to hold.  Hygain only cut one slot, but
supplied a much stronger (and better - other than the
galling problem of the stainless bolts) clamp, one
that could easily be tightened enough to deform the
tubing.  However, MFJ, as part of its usual post-
acquisition cost-cutting process, eliminated these
custom clamps and now provides regular hose clamps for
this purpose.  Needless to say, MFJ never designed in
any additional slots in the outer tubing, so the
grabbing power of the "new" MFJ/Hygain element design
is sadly lacking IMO.

Personally, for the small extra effort and expense, I
elected to pop-rivet (or #10 screw w/nylock) all the
joints in my several (used) Cushcraft and Hygain
antennas when I put them together this Fall.  It
remains to be seen if this will really help keep the
elements together - it works pretty well on the
ground! ;-)

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com