Re: [TowerTalk] working alone (was "climbing safety")

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] working alone (was "climbing safety")
From: Tony King - W4ZT <towertalk@w4zt.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:01:06 -0500
At 01:41 PM 11/26/2003, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
<snip>
   Well, my wife is a little concerned that I work alone.
<snip>
   Mark, N5OT

Easy.  Get her to be your second person.  I climb alone, but my
partner is observing, and even helping, from the ground.  And has a
telephone to hand.

73, doug
<snip>

EXCELLENT advice! I frequently climb with my wife as my helper. She knows how to find tools and dial a phone should I get in trouble. Now, she also wears a hard hat with her call sign on it. We use a pair of FRS radios so there is no question about being able to communicate and verify our condition. If you can't get your wife to help, ANYONE is better than no one. Take a lawn chair along, one that leans back, and your helper can be comfortable while watching you work. Makes for one place to look for the help and cuts down on the sore neck complaints.

This thread could go on and on about the pros and cons of folks paying attention when they're on the ground etc. but I find from my experience you need one person on the ground that KNOWS what you're doing and that everyone else listens to for direction. If they're not directly involved with helping, they keep well away from the tower. Ground conversation does not take priority over what the guy on the tower is doing.... EVER!

Good luck in the CQWW CW this weekend and HAPPY TURKEY!

73,
Tony W4ZT