Re: [TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals and metal roof ground planes

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low Band Verticals and metal roof ground planes
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:38:25 EST
In a message dated 12/2/03 7:34:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vk3ajj@optushome.com.au writes:

>>Am I better off using a traditional quarter wave vertical or the vertical
dipole type design<<

Quarter wave vertical will take the best advantage of the meral roof, no need
for radials. If you can mount two or three of them, you would get nice array
with gain.

>>Am I better off mounting the vertical above the roof and running tuned
radials above (say 1 metre above) the roof itself or should I use the roof
as the groundplane.<<
Just use the roof as a ground plane, ideal situation.

>>As my vertical radiator will be only about 12 metres high is the
desireability of base loading or top loading affected by using the roof as a
ground plane (ie which would be better)? I could also run an inverted L
config from the top of my 12 metre vertical section if this is considered a
better option.<<

Top loading is the best, with hat ot L loading. Use quarte wave for 40 m and
you could run parllel wire along the radiator with L loading for 80.

Yuri, K3BU