[TowerTalk] relay ratings at RF

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] relay ratings at RF
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:44:06 -0500
I've just finished rebuilding my 80m array antenna switch, which uses DPDT relays. The previous edition used big, plug-base Radio Shack relays rated, I believe for 15 amps at 220VAC. After seeing the tiny 10amp sealed relays that TopTen and others use in their remote switches, in the rebuild I used some DPDT sealed relays made by P&B, which are rated at 8 amps at 220VAC (the heaviest DPDTs I could find of the type).

I have not had any problem with the 10amp relays in the topten boxes despite occasionally running them into severely reactive loads, so my question is mainly curiosity -- how can you calculate how much such relay contacts should be derated when used with reactive loads at low HF?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated December 2.
2541 stations are listed -- 72 new and over 100 updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm