RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] need help with the how too's of installing a 2

To: 'George Yazzolino' <kc7hkp@teleport.com>,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] need help with the how too's of installing a 2part N-connector.
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:10:53 -0800
Strip the end of the cable to expose 5/16" of center conductor, by cutting
all the way through the jacket, shield and dielectric all in one cut.  Then,
the jacket (only) should be stripped to expose 1/2" braid.

Thread the connector onto the cable with a gentle clockwise twisting motion,
so the internal threads of the connector body engage with and screw onto the
cable jacket material.

View the center conductor through the solder holes in the connector body as
you twist the connector body onto the cable (this should *never* be done by
"pushing" the connector onto the cable, nor by twisting it back and forth
onto the cable -- the twisting action is one-way only, and that's
clockwise...the connector is *supposed to* screw onto the cable jacket), to
assure the center conductor is lining up with the center pin of the
connector, which is captive and cannot move or be removed.

If all is lining up fine, continue twisting the connector onto the cable
until it's on as far as it can go.  At this point, you should see the center
conductor through the small solder hole in the type N center pin, and you
should see the cable braid showing through all four solder holes in the
connector body.

Check with an Ohmmeter to assure you don't have a short circuit, and if all
is well, solder the center pin *first*, and let it cool; then, solder the
braid through the holes.

I've done thousands of these, and to do it exactly right takes about 30
seconds.  If it's taking longer than that to solder the braid through the
holes, you don't have enough heat!

Obviously, the 2-piece type N is *intended for* cables having a *solid*
center conductor, not a stranded one, because the center conductor-to-center
pin engagement is "blind," i.e., you cannot see it at all once the connector
is assembled past about midway.  Also obviously, the type N "shell" having
the threads that engage with the female receptacle does *not* go on the
cable first (like in a PL-259), it threads on later, after all assembly work
and soldering is completed.

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill