Re: [TowerTalk] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 03:40:57 -0800
ARRL Antenna book shows how to determine whether a contemplated system will or will not overload a tower with a given top-of-the-tower wind load area rating. It is my understanding that the method described doesn't apply to loads below the top guys in a guyed tower system.

Recommended reading: http://yagistress.freeyellow.com/K7NV/Notes/WindLoad.html

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Phil - KB9CRY wrote:

2. Trylon or AN Wireless self supporters are quite nice but....
Most hams I know overload their towers. The specs from the manufacturers rate their loadings using a single point source antenna located 1 foot above the top of the tower. If you're going to stack these antennas on a single mast or even side mount them, I'd seriously consider solicting the help of a structural engineer who can calculate what tower to purchase.