Re: [TowerTalk] Bulkhead Source

To: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bulkhead Source
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:49:10 -0500
Warren, I personally am not aware of any commercially available units although those in the industry might have some info. However, when I built my house I had a large, heavy gauge aluminum plate made up with holes appropriate for UHF and N bulkhead connectors (6 of each), 8 pin Jones sockets for rotor cables (3), ceramic feed throughs for open wire line (3 pairs) and multiple assemblies (8) of short lengths of threaded rod with wing nuts and washers on both sides for ground connections. The plate is sized to fit between the joists and is mounted on the shack side of the wall. The plate is accessible from the outside through a similar sized hole in the outer wall. Covering the outside hole is a wooden "bat house" assembly with a hinged door to allow easy access to the plate from the outside and opened at the bottom to allow cables to be brought in and connected. I fill the whole bat house with fiberglass insulation to minimize heat loss. It's easy to remove when I have to access the panel from the outside.

73, Joe

WarrenWolff@aol.com wrote:

Greetings!!

I am a year off from building my new home at Lake Havasu City. I expect to have a 70 foot crank up and a 55 foot crank up. In designing the layout, I have come to the "bulkhead" for feedlines and control cables from the shack to the outside.

Am I stuck with designing my own or is there a source for reasonably priced bulkheads? I am sure I could do my own, but my new wife is going to demand high professionalism.

Warren