[TowerTalk] re: 160 Transmission Line ANT

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: 160 Transmission Line ANT
From: "Jerry Connelly" <jerryc@clinchrivercorp.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:18:02 -0500
Gene
Let us know how it all turns out.  I have been stumbling along with
an 160m inverted L and having mixed results.  The first one (with linear
loaded horizontal section)  seemed to work o.k. but the more I used it
the more I realized something was wrong.  In my haste to get it up I
miscalculated the length of the loaded section and it would only tune
on part of the band.  This past weekend I took a friend's advice and
changed it out with a coaxial inverted L (half of a double bazooka).
I measured carefully and put it up saturday afternoon.  It was a tad
short and I had to add a little wire to get the swr down to 1.5 with
the five on-ground radials I have (more are planned).  The radio's tuner
loved it.  The amp loved it.  Then it rained, sleeted and snowed and after
an inch of frozen slush, my swr is now back up between 3 and 4.
All my connections are well sealed and dry.  Must be the wet slush
on the radials lowering the impedence.  Guess I can only operate when
its dry.  Oh well....back to the drawing board.  Wonder if undewrground
radials act the same under these conditions.  I want to add more and get
them underground before mowing season but need to get the antenna close
before installing all that copper..
Good luck with yours.
JerryC
KC8TES