[TowerTalk] beverages

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] beverages
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:53:04 -0000

Mauri's right (below),  a 6m high beverage is higher than optimal...
if nothing else, matching it will be more difficult, because of the
resulting high impedance.

On the other hand, as I said to Sam in a private communication, the
end effects ARE an issue.  You need to taper the ends down, or you'll
start to fill the nulls in and broaden out the pattern.  Proximity to
other vertical antennas or towers matters, as well, whether the ends
taper down or not.

I would suspect that the end effect is worse, the higher the beverage.
So with the wire 18' high, it will be interesting to see what Sam's
experience is.  Mauri says the end effect is not consistent...with which
I agree.  It's probably very much dependent upon earth, and the ground
system used, too.

Jim N2EA

  <snip>
Hi Sam and All,

I've no time to enter into the vertical ends effect of beverages discussion,
but I've never felt they introduce appreciable energy to the system.
Not everything that's printed in a book or published has sense.
In my experience effect of beverage ends is not a consistent matter in
practice, and simply I don't care.
If I understand correctly You place your beverages 6m over the ground.
In my experience, this is instead a point.
Such an height starts to be a problem, and does affect beverage's
directivity.
Season greetings and 73,

Mauri I4JMY
    <snip>