Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] Tram nightmares

To: mark@concertart.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] Tram nightmares
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:45:45 EST
In a message dated 12/19/03 2:10:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mark@concertart.com writes:

> > "wrapped in around their hips"   THIS WORSE THAN USING A TRUCK !!

    Well, he said "wrapped" and not tied. Actually that's how you do it. Wrap
the rope around your hips and bring the dead side in front of you. Hold both
parts in one or two hands- it's a good brake. I also wrap the dead side around
the live side a couple of times - it adds some friction to the arrangement so
not all of the weight is held by your hands. In any case, if you simply let
go - the rope drops to the ground and you're not in it.

>  If I may say, this is beginning to sound like a bunch of OSHA employees
>  sitting around for a cold one with some insurance agents and some
attorneys.

    Still better safe than sorry.

>  Steve ('LXC), I know you're very experienced, and you advise against using
>  truck to pull the rope - how do you power the lift?

    For commercial jobs I used to use a powered capstan winch. For ropes it's
fabulous and is easy to control the load by tightening or loosening the load
line. They ain't cheap but very useful.

    For typical ham jobs, several guys on the haul rope is usually
sufficient. For full-sized 3L 40's and other big antennas, some sort of winch
makes it
easier. Also a fluid drive lawn tractor works FB. But my preferred method is to
hire a crane!

    Here's a tip. When the load is at the approximate destination, tie the
rope off. The load will normally be too low so if you need a couple inches of
"up", just push on the horizontal haul line between the bottom snatch block and
where it's tied. It doesn't take much to get a couple of inches at that point
plus the load is secured while you're doing it and isn't going anywhere.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
888-833-3104