Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] Tram nightmares

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Fw: [TowerTalk] Tram nightmares
From: "VE6JY Don Moman" <ve6jy@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 00:10:53 -0000
Some tramming and pulling points I have learned..... in addition to the many
good ones already mentioned.

I almost always use a back stay, it is simple and cheap insurance.

The tiller is a good choice and the adjustable tiller even better, use it
every time and get familiar with it.

The choice of prime mover is critical.  Anything hydrostatic is first
choice, manual transmission second and automatic a distant third....  You
just don't have the control with the automatic,  unless the ground is very
level and  maybe slightly downhill.   A good hydrostatic garden tractor is
adequate for most amateur sized beams.  It usually hasn't enough traction to
really pull something over.

I always have a 12v electric boat or vehicle winch (or comealong if I have
no choice)  IN  the pull path so when the lift is close to the end, you can
have the precise lift control needed.   Few winches have enough cable
capacity to do the whole lift.

If you are only using people power, tie a  figure 8 or  otherwise for a loop
in the rope. Each ground crew has a safety belt and hooks a lanyard into the
loop. Use multiple loops for multiple people.  This way they have their
hands free and there is no way they can let go of the rope.  If the antenna
needs to stay at one height for a while, they just lean back in the harness
and it is no strain to hold it.  Use a long rope so they can be well back of
the fall area.

I always have a LONG horizontal length of wire rope or rope before it goes
thru the snatch block and up the tower.   The sag in the rope is an
excellent indicator of the pull. Have spare bodies and eyes watching
everything you can't and make sure you can hear or see them if they report
any problems.

After the tram hoist technique is nearly finished - i.e. antenna resting
against the tower  (trapped by the tram rope)  I find a chain fall hoist is
the best choice to get it in the final position.  While there are ways to
snub the tram rope to the top of the tower and  then release it to get the
beam higher, it is more trouble than it is worth.  The chain fall gives such
good control in both directions.

The full size 80m 4 el yagi went up using many of these techniques (altho no
tram) but that was in the years  BC   (before crane).

73 Don
VE6JY