[TowerTalk] Tram w/Truck

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tram w/Truck
From: "Mike Gilmer" <n2mg@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:40:24 -0500
I was not doing a tram lift, but rather a more conventional one when I
employed a truck.

1) I could not hear much outside the truck's cab, though the FRS radios we
had helped - but this meant that the crew who wanted to contact me had to be
able to key their radio (not all of them had one) or yell very loudly.  I'd
considered VOX w/headsets since then, but there are issues with them as
well - apparently they aren't always as useful as they seem.

2) It was also difficult to see the entire "picture" through the limited
(especially vertical) view through the windshield.

3) The tower field was rather rough, so the tires rode up and down through
lots of small ruts. This caused short instantaneous changes in lift speed.

4) The tower field was also too short for the entire lift, so the lift was
necessarily "sped-up" with some pulleys - this exacerbated issue 3).

5) Small movements were quite difficult, though possible.  I wouldn't think
a tram lift would require lots of small increments, but "propellering" a
Yagi up through guy wires does.

It was easy to imagine my 4000lb truck pulling my Rohn 45 tower over (though
I doubt it really could in this arrangement) - or at least giving the man
aloft a wild ride - should the load catch on something on the way up.  This
not only enforced the idea that I needed to be as careful as possible - and
in good audio/visual contact with the man aloft - but also convinced me I
shouldn't try it again.

The winch became my solution.

Mike N2MG