Re: [TowerTalk] GROUND RADIAL SYSTEM MAGAZINE ARTICLES

To: "hasan schiers" <schiers@netins.net>,"towertalk reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] GROUND RADIAL SYSTEM MAGAZINE ARTICLES
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:07:09 -0800
At 02:40 PM 12/22/2003 -0600, hasan schiers wrote:
In QST sometime in the last 3 or 4 months there was an EXCELLENT article
that showed how to put down the most efficient radial system for any given
length of wire you have available. It's based on the famous Brown study, and
I found it to be one of the quickest and most efficient ways to practically
determine how to lay out your radial field for a ground mounted vertical.

For some reason, I haven't seen it mentioned....and it is based on the best
empirical study ever done on radials for ground mounted verticals. I wrote
the equation into a simple (one cell) excel spreadsheet, and by simply
inputting how much wire you had available to bury, it reveals the number and
length of radials that will produce the least ground loss. (The equation is
clearly displayed in the first few paragraphs of the article.)

The article has a lot more info in it, including graphs to give you a feel
for the actual losses involved and recommendations at the end. That single
equation, however, makes reading the entire article well worth the trouble.

The Brown study was for ground wave at roughly 1 MHz, not for skywave at 3.5 MHz and higher. The advice in the article is fine if you're building an AM broadcast station.

The optimization in the QST article was for various gauges of wire and length and made some fundamental assumptions about soil conductivity and what the current distribution would be, ultimately drawing on Brown's work, which, again, was for frequencies around 1 MHz. I don't have it in front of me, but as I recall, either the author of the most recent QST article, or the previous ground radial article a few years back, also rolled in the induced ground return current distributions (that is, most of the return current is close to the base, so there's a diminishing returns as you get farther out), once again derived from Brown.

To be useful, the optimization should really figure out what's the best approach for a given expenditure of time and money. Copper wire, to a first order, is priced by the pound. Are you better off buying a lot of thin wire or a little bit of thick wire? Labor to a first order is proportional to total length of all the radials combined(you've got to slit/trench/lay the wire).

If you're trying to minimize resistive ground losses, it's not a trivial computation, because of skin effect, both for the soil and for the wire you're using (thin wire gives you more total feet of wire, for a given weight of copper, but skin effect losses are greater, and there's less surface area of the wire in contact with the soil)

...hasan, N0AN