Re: [TowerTalk] AC electric winch

To: <mjwetzel@comcast.net>, <rowald4@midamer.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AC electric winch
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 17:08:13 -0800
It's worth taking a detailed look at the specs on that Harbor Freight winch
(Assuming you're talking about the Chicago Electric 40764-0VGA, 8000 pound
winch) to understand why it's probably not appropriate for Harold's need.

A few points: It's not fast enough for Harold.. 13 ft/min w/no load,
dropping off with load as expected. (by the way, the difference between
noload and fully loaded gives you way to estimate gear train losses)

1.8 HP seems a bit optimistic: 12V @37.5 Amps is 450 Watts... Since 1HP is
about 750W, that seems more like a 1/2 HP.  Maybe 37 A is the noload
current.  Even if you are generous and claim 14.4V, it still doesn't get you
to 2HP.  Since Harold needs 1/4 HP out, given the usual inefficiencies, I'd
say he needs a 1-2 HP motor on the winch, depending on whether it's starting
under load, etc.  And, presumably, he needs that continuously.

Note also that the manual gives 1minute as the max run time at full load
without overheating.  You're not going to be cranking up a 100 foot tower
very quickly with this thing.  (considering it's for automotive use, the 1
minute is impractically short.. You're not going to be dragging that SUV out
of the mud at 4.5 ft/min in one minute bursts with the probably 10 minute
cool down required)

As a practical matter, 12V winches are going to be pretty expensive and
inefficient compared to a 110V, except for possibilities of economies of
scale. (i.e. if you are making zillions of them in China, compared to just a
few in the US).  Wiring is a big issue...