[TowerTalk] re: weatherproof boxes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: weatherproof boxes
From: "Bud Hippisley, K2KIR" <k2kir@telenet.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:27:08 -0500
At 03:15 PM 2004-01-07, Jim Lux wrote:
>How UV resistant are the Rough Totes?
>A lot of the plastic containers get pretty brittle when out in the sun all the
>time.

I've had my Omega Match capacitors for my shunt-fed tower in a Rubbermaid
container for about fifteen years now, at two different locations.  As far as I
can tell, the container is like new, except for the entry and exit holes I
punched in it when I first installed it.  Mine sits upright on the ground, with
a cinder block in it to keep it from walking around in a breeze.  The lid
quickly collects water in its depressions on top, but nary a drop gets inside.

In both locations it's been in a moderately wooded area, however, so there has
not typically been prolonged sun loading on it.  $4 / 15 years = a little over
25 cents a year.....

Bud, K2KIR