RE: [TowerTalk] BPL.... very important point missed

To: "Bob Nielsen" <nielsen@oz.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] BPL.... very important point missed
From: "Tod Olson - Idaho" <tao@skypoint.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:55:44 -0700
My memory is faulty on this, but I seem to recall that in the
Minneapolis-St. Paul area the meters were converted to RF reading. It was
such a disaster that it was stopped. I believe that they have gone back to
manual reading on a periodic basis with a final reading whenever there is a
change in ownership.

In today's new world of special energy charges for various times of year it
may be that a monthly reading rather than an estimate followed by a
correction periodically is going to be required before the Power
Distribution companies can put such variable rates into place. I wish I felt
that energy deregulation was going to be a more positive thing than it was
in the ENRON event. I guess a few guys "got theirs" and they lived in Texas
so it was OK.

Anyway, without the political overtones, I conclude that if BPL is of
interest for meter reading it might have legs. That is not the "vision" that
has been presented to the FCC commissioners as far as I know.

Tod, K0TO