Re: [TowerTalk] Problems on a 2el vertical Array

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Problems on a 2el vertical Array
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:31:14 EST
In a message dated 1/10/04 11:17:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
T.Wellnitz@gmx.de writes:
>>In order to conentrate on the main problem, I didn't tell that my
array was a little bit bigger.
I set up 3 verticals in a isosceles <<

Not sure how the phasing harness or switching system is connected, by I had
some experience and frustration with trying to run three vertical phased array.
I used WX0B Stackmatch for phasing according to suggestions by WX0B. It was a
big dissapointment - it worked as three element omnidirectional vertical. I
could hardly see any difference when switching different combinations. I
scrapped it and went for 4square using Comtek box.

It turned out that the problem with Stackmatch was that it keeps all three
coax feedlines to verticals connected by their shields and that seems to throw
off the phasing. (Coaxes are used as stubs to switch vertical into reflector
mode.) You need to disconnect the shields together with center conductors and
leave them floating. Then the array shows signs of F/B and decent pattern.

Not sure if it applies to your arrangement, but you might want to look into
it.

73  Yuri K3BU.us