[TowerTalk] Re: Orion OR-2300 Connector

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Orion OR-2300 Connector
From: Didier Juges <didier@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:53:35 -0600
I retrofitted my T2X rotator with the type of 4 pin connectors used for boat trailers. They have reasonable weatherproofing, are heavy gage, inexpensive (check the different models and packing styles, you can easily pay 3 times as much as needed) and easy to install. I forgot the exact type I used, but it comes as a male-female set for about $5.00 at the local auto parts store, or even Wall-Mart. I use the same connectors at the house entry and at the back of the rotor controller. The T2X has 8 control wires, so I used 2 connectors and crossed them, so there is no mis-connection possible.

I secured the cable in place so that the connectors are protected under the rotor plate and there is no tension on the wires, because the connectors are only held by contact retention force, as there is no real locking mechanism.

Another advantage compared to lock type circular connectors: they won't corrode and get stuck and give you a hard time at the top of the tower.

73,
Didier KO4BB