Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of mast material

To: <mahlonhaunschild@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weight of mast material
From: "Arne Gjerning" <gjerning@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:20:50 -0700
An aluminum mast to stack a 2el 40M yagi above another yagi?  I personally
think its a bad idea.  You would have to use 3/8 wall (at least) aluminum
and then weight savings would be just few tens of pounds.  Dead weight is
not the issue, its bending moments transfered to the mast from the spacing
of the antennas.  For good performance put the 40M a minimum of 10 feet
above the tribander.  Now do the clacs for bending moments.  Stick with the
4130 alloy steel (chrome moly) at least .25 wall.  Do suggest a Rohn 45G
tower instead of the 25G though (if within your budget); you will not regret
it in the least..

>From experience here: 87ft of 45G, 5el 20M (52ft boom) at 88ft and Cushcraft
2el 40M at 100ftm (boom truss overhead at 102ft).  Thats 12 feet of spacing
and all antennas (and mast) are happy campers.  Been up 12 years NADA
problems.  Mast is 21ft 9in of 4130 chrome moly (.25 wall) with 6ft 9in
inside tower.  Rotor at 77ft, 2 thrust bearings support the mast and
antennas.  I have seen 95mph winds here with torrential rain.  I worried
about the trees, NOT the antennas/tower.  Often get 50-60 mph monsoon winds.

Aluminum yagi antennas and amplifier chassis.  Steel towers and masts.  Use
correct alloys for each application.

Thats my take on it from experience.

73 de Arne N7KA
New Mexico