RE: [TowerTalk] one way coupler

To: <n9iww@verizon.net>, "'Steve'" <ve3tu@rac.ca>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] one way coupler
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:24:59 -0800
At 10:28 AM 1/30/2004 -0500, Kevin Adam wrote:
Yes Comtek Phase Box will do just what u want it to do
www.comteksystems.com
just proud owner of two for 160m 80m

I'd kind of want to see some analysis or measurements that shows that the Comtek device will do what Steve needs. He's running two amplifiers, one to each antenna. The Comtek is similar to a variety of hybrid couplers, and is narrow band (which, in Steve's application probably isn't a problem). The Comtek (in my recollection) uses a "Collins bridge" type hybrid to create the quadrature outputs. In any event, these devices are fairly run of the mill quadrature hybrids.

For narrow band applications (and where the phasing of the two elements is fixed relative to each other), one can design an LC network, or even, a fairly broadband transformer arrangement, that will dump the power coming out of the element into a load (there's a multioctave hybrid in basically every telephone, for instance, to do the 4wire/2wire conversion). I'm not a fiend on efficiency, per se, but it strikes me that this isn't what Steve really wants to do.