Re: [TowerTalk] Combining antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Combining antennas
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:15:56 -0500
KE3Q wrote:
>Bill (W4ZV) and others, my recollection of W3LPL's presentations on stacking, at the Dayton Antenna Forum and elsewhere, was that the stack was always equal or better than any individual antenna. I think this was for two-stacks, like 50/100' on 20, 45/90' on 15 and 35/70' on 10, and the parameter may have included from Maryland to Europe, not sure about that one. What's your experience?

        Rich, I found the lowest (35' of 35'/70'/105' stack) was often
better than any other combination late in the European opening.
You can see that here:

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/terrain_&_toa's.htm (second graph)

For takeoff angles of 13 degrees and higher, the bottom antenna
alone was better than any other combination.  I also found that the
bottom antenna was the quietest and allowed me to copy stations
that were not readable on the 35'/70' combination or the 70' alone.

KC1XX has a single 8 element at 35' for the same reason
I suspect. "Eight-element W1JR yagi at 10 meters on 20M tower, fixed Northeast."
http://www.kc1xx.com/antennas/antennas.htm (scroll to 10 meters)

73, Bill W4ZV