[TowerTalk] Combining antennas - My experiences

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Combining antennas - My experiences
From: "Mike Gilmer - N2MG" <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:59:07 -0800 (PST)
KQ2M wrote:
> I have found that when the band is first opening
> to EU, the top antenna by itself is FAR SUPERIOR
> to any combination of antennas.

1) I realize that "experience trumps theory" (or
however that saying goes) and I don't have a lot
of hours under my belt actually using stacks.

2) I think we all agree that generally, the
low-angle performance of a stack is what is
important for those early band openings to EU.

Now to my "problem".  When I "model" stacks on YT,
and look at the low-angle performance, it seems
that the stack always looks as good at the lowest angle
as the highest antenna does alone.  If
that's the case, and if the signals were indeed
arriving at the lowest angle(s), the stack should
perform no worse than the single high antenna.
Yet Bob's observations (and I've heard others say
the same) seem to contradict that.

So what's happening?

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com