RE: [TowerTalk] nice trick for raising masts to drop into a tower

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>, eric@k3na.org,YCCC <yccc@yccc.org>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] nice trick for raising masts to drop into a tower
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 23:58:12 -0500
   The gin pole sticks up about 11-12 feet above the top of the tower.

   A 20-24 ft mast is raised (by the ground crew), with the gin pole rope
secured to a couple of spots straddling the midpoint of
the mast.  As the mast reaches the top of the tower, the man on the tower
guides the top of the mast inside the hoop.  The hoop
keeps the top portion of the mast from waving around in the air, while the
bottom of the mast is brought into position over the
center of the tower.  If necessary, the top attachment to the lifting rope can
now be safely removed, since the tip of the mast is
held by the hoop over the tower.  Ground crew starts to lower the mast into the
tower, with the man on top continuing to guide the
mast into the tower.

   At no point in the procedure does the man at the top have to worry about the
mast becoming significantly out of vertical.

   I hope that's clear.

-- Eric