Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght
From: Alan Beagley <AB2OS@att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:19:23 -0500
At what point does one bond the lightning and RF grounds to the utility company's ground? I have read "at the service entrance panel"; does that mean I have to bring a conductor from the lightning/RF grounds into the building to connect to the ground bus in the panel, or can I clamp it to the conduit (after scraping down to bare metal) that comes out of the ground and up to the meter, or to the conduit leading from the meter into the panel (more difficult because all that is accessible outside the building is a fitting with no flat service allowing for convenient clamping)? Or . . . ?

Also: I see no sign of a ground conductor from our recently installed DirecTV dish. I assume that this should have been grounded too?

Alan AB2OS

On 02/15/04 02:18 pm mcduffie@actcom.net put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

That's why we insist on bonding the phone company (and power provider)
grounds to ours before they come into the building.  Before doing that,
we had lots of trouble with lightning coming in through those outside
lines.  Bonding them to the station ground, which is much better than
all of the others combined, almost eliminates lightning intrusion and
losses.