Re: [TowerTalk] Hand winch question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hand winch question
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:20:02 -0700

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:49:11 EST K7LXC@aol.com writes:
> Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>     I need to crank down an extended crank-up. It's got a standard
> hand
> boat-type winch at the bottom. Turning it one way ratchets and pulls
> the haul cable
> up. Turning the handle the other way just unscrews the winch handle.
> I can't
> see anything that might reverse the handle or allow it to turn
> backwards while
> lowering the tower. Any hints greatly appreciated!

It sounds like a clutch friction type winch with one
of two problems:

1. If there is no tension on the cable, the clutch
will not work, and the handle will unscrew.

2. The clutch plates may be corroded, and stuck together.
In that case, you will have to find a way to secure
the lifting cable, while you disassemble the winch,
whack the plates apart with a hammer, clean it all up
(without using oil or any other lubricant on the plates)
and reassemble.

Somewhere in my pile of manuals I have an exploded
diagram of such a winch. I can scan it to .pdf and
send it to you if you want. Even if it's not the
same mfr, it will give you an idea of how they go
together.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ