[TowerTalk] BN-86

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BN-86
From: "AA6DX" <aa6dx@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:28:46 -0800

Hmmm .. not a balun fan in the first place, but .. have a BN-86 up on my
"tower" ... RadShk chimney-mounted mast -- been up 12+ years now, used
1Ø/15/2Ø//4Ø perverted vees for "guywires" -- had just fixed a BN-86 for
whatever reason, and just clamped it to the mast "because it was there" ... fed
it with 4-1ØØØ, SB-22Ø, etc... mostly barefoot, though ... has made THOUSANDS
of contacts, and still worky worky.   The clue to those aminals is this.  They
"desolder" themselves.... I put turns of small wire around the funky
connections at the end of the 14 gauge coils around the ferrite core, twisting
the ends, making a good mechanical connection.  THEN soldered the connection.
End of that problem!  Have had problems in the past, frying those critters,
though .. when in the wee hours of contest, forgetting to turn the aerial
switch, Henry would give it a shot, and ... kablooooey!   Again .. only reason
that balooooon up there is it was handy, and my helper (no-ham brother) was
impatient for me to do the job... been there all these years!   My 75/8Øm
dipole has no such fuse. By the way, the same method of tying copper wire round
and round fixed my problem with Daiwa 4 position co-ax switches, too .. if
stressed by RG-213, 214, 8 .. they tend to become unglued at the SO-239.  73,
Mark
AA6DX