Re: [TowerTalk] RE: One Man Tower-LRFD

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RE: One Man Tower-LRFD
From: Rick Tavan <tavan@tibco.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:32:57 -0800
No, it's a typo. I received the following from Steve Higbee KD6JDM of One Man Tower USA, the authorized US source:

"Please note: the website is incorrect on the antenna area rating. Should
be 5.7 SF. Antenna area actually is irrelevant in the case of a One-Man
Tower, as you may stand on solid ground and quickly and easily lower a very
large array, even during a strong wind storm. Our towers are unique in that
respect."

I don't think he really meant "irrelevant" or "very large" either. These intriguing towers are not the easiest to evaluate. Any testimonials out there?

/Rick N6XI

Pete Smith wrote:

I guess I inferred from the area number used and the resulting wind speeds, that if you worked the problem backwards he's saying that 19 square feet are good to at least 100 mph (103 is the lowest speed given in the table). Is this correct?