Re: [TowerTalk] 40' tower for only $179.00!

To: DeVinneys <devinney@vtc.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40' tower for only $179.00!
From: Don Havlicek <n8de@thepoint.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:59:48 -0500
My first tower was composed of a 8' 4x4 set into the ground about 4 feet with two 12' 2x8's double-bolted to it. Near the top of the two 2x8's, another bolt was placed through both of them and a second 4x4 on which was mounted angle-brackets for the rotor and thrust bearing through which the mast was placed up to the antenna.
The second 4x4 was approximately 14' long, and the 'upper bolt' was a hinge so the top of the tower could be rotated downward for installation of the 5-el 15m monobander.
After the antenna was attached to the mast [in an inverted fashion], the rope [attached to the bottom of the second 4x4] was pulled .. rotating the beam to its position at the top of this ancient "fold-over".
Total cost back in the late 60's was less than $100 .. including the BEAM!
Worked fine .. until the winds decided to blow the entire thing over about a year later !!!
Don
N8DE

DeVinneys wrote:
I remember an ARRL antenna book about 30 years ago had plans for a wooden
tower made out of 1X2's. I never tried it because the 1X2's we get in AZ and
NM would make it look like a corkscrew. Think I'll wait a few years on the
poly tower to see how it holds up to sunlight!KA5W
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>