Re: [TowerTalk] Wooden tower

To: Jack <K4WSB@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wooden tower
From: ersmar@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:50:05 +0000
TT:

     At the age of 13, too, I used the same 2x4 mast, set in about a half-cuft
of concrete (I said I was 13!)and guyed to the back yard fence.  A half-inch
carriage bolt served as a pivot for lowering the thing for antenna servicing -
usually putting the hoisting lines back onto the pulleys.  It also supported my
first dipole array - a spider web of 80/40/20M dipoles fed off one feedline.
The far end of the 80M wires draped over the roof of my parents' two-story
frame house.  The wires literally rested on the shingles!

     Point is that these lumber-based antenna supports work when properly
constructed.  Keep in mind the early antenna support towers were made from wood
- Marconi's and Armstrong's structures are first to come to mind.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F