[TowerTalk] I-beams used as guy-wire anchors!

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] I-beams used as guy-wire anchors!
From: "Conrad Nasatka" <conco@paonline.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:10:38 -0500
I have been on this reflector for several months.
Aside from the occasional sidetrack, it is pretty darn knowledgeable.  Having
said that...I was wondering if anyone has had experience with using I-beams to
anchor their guy-wires?  I have a Rohn 25 G up 60 feet.  It has the two, called
for guy positions, one at 28 feet and the other at 55 feet.  Would a 10 foot ,
W-6 X12 X10 foot handle the load?  I would cement it in the ground 3 or 4 feet.
The company says that this I - beam would weigh 120 pounds. Twelve pounds per 1
foot of I-beam.  I have never dealt with this before as I usually run my
guy-wires to the ground.  This is an unusual situation because I have been
graciously  permitted by a neighbor to place two on his property.  An attempt
at using 10 foot schedule 80 galvanized water pipe got me no where, I now seek
help using the I-beams so I can get  6  or 7 feet above ground to allow grass
mowing.  I'd appreciate your considerations.
Regards
73
Conrad
WB3DQD