Re: [TowerTalk] refurbing aluminum

To: "Rex Lint" <rex@lint.mv.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] refurbing aluminum
From: k3mm@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:32:50 +0000
I rebuilt a couple of mine quite a while ago...before M2 had the upgrade kit.
I bought the KLM rebuild kit at the time which included new cap tubes and
plastic caps, new straps, and other plastic pieces.  The KLM upgrade required
drilling vent holes on the inner tube inside the cap tubes.  I used #6 SS sheet
metal screws through all the element joints in addition to the clamps.  I used
their conductive grease throughout.  I think I replaced the baluns and the
balun clip.  Of course, I inspected and replaced any obviously damaged pieces,
which wasnt much.  I replaced a couple of boom to element blocks because of
cracks.  Thats about it.

If I decide to rebuild another, I'll use the M2 kit which has better machined
clamps.  I might consider using aluminum "pop rivets" instead of screws as
well.  I spent an incredible amount of labor doing the rebuilds because they
are very complex antennas...lots of pieces that have to be right and tons of
screws/bolts.

My rebuilds have been up for about 8-10 years now with no significant trouble
and we've been through some ice storms, etc.

Ty K3MM