Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Grounding Advice

To: "Red" <RedHaines@centurytel.net>,"Bill Austin" <billaustin@powernet.net>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Tower Grounding Advice
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:30:15 -0500
Bill:

     In addition to Red's and Phil's advice, ensure that your ground wire
connection to the tower leg does not form a right-angle at the base of the
tower.  That is, make the connection high enough up the leg so that the lead
to the ground rod is a gentle curve of radius as large as possible.  I'd
also suggest running each of these ground leads through a length of garden
hose from near the edge of the concrete down to about three or four inches
into the earth.  This will provide some degree of protection against chafing
of the wires against the concrete.  You can plug up the exposed ends of the
hose with electrician's putty.

    BTW - on my Trylon 64-footer, I used tinned #2 solid ground wire and
tinned connectors.  This reduces the electrochemical potential difference
between pure copper and zinc galvanizing - a source of corrosion as others
have reminded us.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F