Re: [TowerTalk] Static, Lightening, and protection

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static, Lightening, and protection
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:02:29 EST
In a message dated 3/22/04 12:02:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, w0hh@msn.com
writes:
>>After personally inspecting such an
installation that had just been hit, I decided to never have anything above
the yagi except maybe 5' of mast for the truss. In 13 years, I have never
had a hit. <<

Another vote for "Yuri's theory" of protection or repell. If there is a mast
or sharp piece of hardware sticking out, it is advisable to have metal guy
wires running from the tip to the boom. That would "mask" the "sticking out" of
sharp "attractive" point and add to the "capacitor plate" being the antenna.

Yuri, K3BU.us