[TowerTalk] Re: Stati-Cat

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Stati-Cat
From: John Sanders <jsanders@llnet.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:55:06 -0600
I'll just jump in long enough to say that about 15 years ago, I was an
engineer at a broadcast facility in Eastern New Mexico and our FM tower took
a LOT of lightning hits during T-storm season.  We had two stati-cats
installed on the tower and the number of hits we took were reduced
considerably.  There was some maintenance to it, as we were instructed to
send someone up each year before T-storm season with files to re-sharpen each
point on the stati-cats.

I won't try to explain how they worked because I'm not smart enough, but I
will say that for whatever reason, the two years that I was at the company
after we installed the things, our trips to the transmitter shack to repair
lightning induced damages were greatly reduced.  Coincidence?  Maybe/Maybe
not.

-John, AD5BY