Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex tower

To: Paul Playford <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex tower
From: WK6F <wk6f@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:40:59 -0800
I've been out of the tower business for a long time (1970s), but the Tri-Ex HZN series was an early self supporting model. It was readily recognizable since it had full "X" bracing made of flat steel instead of the "W" bracing made with steel rod used in the later W and LM series. The usual configuration was 20 foot sections, with 3 foot overlaps. So 4 sections was 71 feet, 5 sections was 88 feet. The LM and W series increased the overlaps a little so you only got 51, 70, 86, etc. I don't remember a 6 section HZN, but there could have been a special made. There were also the HZX models, which used oversized (wider) sections, with some models also having solid uprights in the lower sections with the X bracing.

Hope that helps.

Ken WK6F

Paul Playford wrote:

You may have a DX-100 tower.

Specifications - Tower Height: Extended -101'5". Nested - 27'6"

Weight: 2,900 lbs.

In the description I note that "Galvanized aircraft hoisting cables (1/4"
diameter) on all three faces of each section" may help you identify it.  It
also is equipped with a positive pull down cable, as is the LM series.

The bottom section cross section detail shows 35 3/16" across the face to
the outsides of each leg and the top section is 13 7/8"

My 1995 price list shows the LM-470E motorized at $3,250, the DX-86 at
$10,600 and the DX-100 at $15,500.

de Paul, W8AEF

ZF2TA  ZF2JI FO8DX  FO0PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Bookwalter" <n8dcj@yahoo.com>