[TowerTalk] Protection for control cables.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Protection for control cables.
From: john.brewer@us.schneider-electric.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:06:37 -0500
A couple of alternatives come to mind re: protecting SteppIR cables
without hocking your first born.

1) Put a Molex-type connector at the bulkhead, and disconnect when
      not in use. (Which is what I do with my rotor cables)

2) Investigate building your own shunting interface. The MOV's and
      gas spark gaps are available as components. and are
      well characterized. I'm not sure about the Polyphaser brand
      but I believe the Alpha-Delta transitraps are all gas spark
      gap technology.

73,
John K5MO

PS: I've visited the Langmuir Lightning Research Center in S.Central New
Mexico, and been in their "block house" from which the wire trailing missles
are fired (it actually is under the launch pad, as I recall).

 Fascinating and beautiful place! Man, do I miss NM!!!