Re: [TowerTalk] Auto antenna tuner

To: "Noel" <y.yaesurigs@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Auto antenna tuner
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:00:35 -0800
There aren't a huge number of autotuners that can handle the high power
(most are aimed at the 200W and under market)..
I like my LDG tuners.  Others have had good luck with the SGC line.

Things to think about (for any tuner).. not necessarily that these are
important for you, but something you should think about.

Can you remote it to the antenna?  You're much better off with the tuner at
the load, so the amp drives 50 ohm coax into a 50 ohm load.

Do you need a balanced output?  Think about chokes and baluns.

Does it have some way to store presets?  If you have to go through a whole
tuning cycle everytime, it's pretty annoying.  Do the presets store manual
"touch up" you do after the auto tune cycle?  (My older LDG (without
presets) doesn't always find a match on 75m, into a dipole hanging 5 feet
off the ground, so I have to bump it in manually)  If you are manually
tuning, do you have forward and reflected power to look at while doing the
tuning?

Does it need to be portable?